<VV> Differences bwtween 1964 and late cylinders

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Jul 1 22:10:57 EDT 2009

In a message dated 7/1/2009 3:59:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tirediron at charter.net writes:

If has  been since learned that the case was from a 1967 PG 110 rather than
1964.  In reviewing the Clark catalog it appears that 1964 pistons  are
unique to that year.  Cranks, cams, rods, pistons, bearings fit  1960-1969.
Can anyone tell me what is unique about 1964 barrels and what  are the
likely
consequences of their being assembled in a late case (with  140 heads)?

Bill

Bill  - only the 64 Cylinders are unique. In 1964, they stroked  the motor
and needed more clearance around the botttom, so the slot was cut on  the
side (and on the case) to allow the clearance. The bore of the Corvair  was
the same from 1961-69. So the bottom of the 64 cylinder is the same as the
65-69. The outside diameter of the upper gasket surface in 1964 was  uncharged
from the 1961-63 models, so all 61-64 are the same (the 1960 model  used a
slightly smaller bore and the head gasket surface might be a little
different. In 1965, they increased the outside diameter of the upper end of the
cylinder to present a larger sealing surface into the head. I have seen
earlier  cylinders with a ring pressed onto them to reach a tight fit into the
65-69  head size, but I would not recommend it. It really wouldn't present much
more of  a surface for the gasket, it would just help to center the
cylinder in the head.

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro, Corvette