<VV> [fastvair] Tweety History Wanted

levair at aol.com levair at aol.com
Thu Jul 2 09:20:05 EDT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: D. Barry Ellison <Bars84CRX at hotmail.com>
To: FastVair <fastvair at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wed, Jul 1, 2009 4:42 pm
Subject: [fastvair] Tweety History Wanted

,
In the 70s when I was road racing a lot,  most of the regional teams
had fierce animals painted on the flanks of their race cars to identify
their team. There were even championships for individual teams.
    My  all volunteer team/crew- known as team "Cheap" for obvious
reasons- wanted to know what our logo was going to be. One day I was
walking along in the mall and saw my relfection in the window; a small
fellow in a yellow jacket---Tweety.-  just right for an underdog team.
Then we were team "Cheep"People then wanted to know how to become a
member of Team Tweety--what ever that was.  Be under funded and under
competitive was the answer.
   For a short time in the late 70s I went from a  road racing back
marker to a front runner and being on Team Tweety had some sort of
temporary prestige. Corvairs, including mine,  were top dogs in FS
autocrossing at about the same time.  Then I was broke and racing was
stalled for about 20 years.
    People kept giving me Tweety birds and other  Tweety items which I
then used as trophies for whatever raeson that I  so pleased. Entrants
would hang around just to see what category would get the Tweety award.
Sometimes I even wear my full size Tweety costume.
     Tweetys aren't sold  new now, so the supply comes from garage
sales, Goodwill, and flea markets. People are very generous with their
donations so it continues for a while.

Warren