<VV> Gulftane

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Thu Jul 2 16:38:57 EDT 2009

 Yeah, what Seth said!? <g>

-----Original Message-----
From: Sethracer at aol.com
To: ronh at owt.com; PatioMatt at aol.com; virtualvairs at corvair.org; JVHRoberts at aol.com
Sent: Thu, Jul 2, 2009 2:08 pm
Subject: Re: <VV> Gulftane

In a message dated 7/2/2009 9:56:36 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
ronh at owt.com writes:

You're  saying that to run with unleaded gas was an original design goal?
Is
there any documentation to back up that  statement?

RonH

> Corvair engines are, in fact,  designed to run on unleaded. They just
need
> the octane. No doubt,  they are actually happier without the lead!

Ron - I think you are mincing words a bit. The Corvair was designed to run
on available fuel of the 50s, A byproduct of the engine design -aluminum
heads with valve-seat inserts, means leaded fuel is not a requirement for
valve seat protection, as it is for the 50's cast-iron heads, pre-induction
hardened. The Corvair can run leaded fuel - or not. It is part of the design,
 but not the reason for it. Most of the rest of the engine is happier
without lead -providing sufficient octane is provided. Like several folks, I
have scraped the 1/8" thick gray goo from the oil pans or engines run in  the
60s and 70s. Lead contaminates more than just ground water - it leaves
deposits on valves, plugs and most other areas it  touches.

Seth Emerson

C's the Day! -  Corvair, Camaro, Corvette