<VV> Red Lights and Gages

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Fri Jul 3 13:14:06 EDT 2009

Smitty Says;  re:the thread on red lights, I feel that both of them are useless to one who doesn't understand their function.  I have big (read that BIG BRIGHT) lights only on my racer except the tach and boost gage, neither do I refer to when in the "go" mode.  My street car is normally equipped except for CHT and Oil Temp gages.  I have always preached to my family that a red light means only one thing.  Shut it off.  Don't look for the next exit or service station.  Just hit the key.
Just a week ago I blew a cooler seal on the interstate,  My warning was the Corvair red light.  I wasn't even sure which light it was.  I just hit the switch and started looking for some shoulder to roll off on.  After I got out and saw the back of the car I knew there was no use starting it up again.
Was my engine damaged.  I seriously don't think so even though I was knocking off about 70 when the light came on.  With various other drivers, different other sceneareos could have occured.  There's an exit right up ahead.  A check engine light.  That don't mean nuthin.  I don't see or smell anything so it's probably alright.  Hubby can fix it when he gets home tonight.  Lets see, that light says Oil/Temp.  Wonder which it is.  Maybe it will go out.
Idiot lights are ignored by idiots but when used properly they will tell you to check the gages and see how bad the situation is, if you want to keep on trucking down the highway at 70 and looking at the gage while your engine goes up in smoke.