<VV> OPINIONS PLEASE. no, or little Corvair.

FrankCB frankcb at aol.com
Fri Jul 3 15:47:28 EDT 2009

Bruce,
     Just WHY do you think the AC compressor has failed???   Usually these systems develop leaks which require more and more frequently additions of R-134A but the problem is usually NOT in the compressor itself.  My 95 TransSport has 140,000 miles an I do have to add a can of R-134A about twice during the cooling season.  You can buy R-134A which contains a leak sealer and should help to slow the leaks to a reasonable level.
     I remember with our 66 Monza that had A/C, after many miles it developed leaks which increased until I had to add 1 can of R-12 every TWO WEEKS, but it did produce 38 deg.F air coming out of the center vent.  Let's see you get that with a MODERN A/C.  Unfortunately, the A/C clutch froze locked in place so we had to remove the drive belt and ran the car more years without A/C.  Possibly the seals in the compressor were leaking, but it still compressed the freon.  And, at 99 CENTS a can (on sale) it certainly didn't cost too much to add a can frequently.  The Corvair system included a liquid reservoir with a glass window that was used to indicate just how much freon to add so the owner could easily refill.  To my knowledge, NO such system is available on a MODERN car so you almost have to take it to a service station or buy the pressure gauges and hoses and learn how to do it yourself.
     Frank "likes cold air" Burkhard