<VV> Red Lights and Gages

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk
Fri Jul 3 17:09:32 EDT 2009

>     On more modern cars, it's important to distinguish between RED and
> YELLOW warning lights.  The RED ones, as you say, mean STOP right now,
> while the YELLOW ones allow you to continue but warn of some impending
> problem with one (or more) systems, frequently emissions related.

This is the same on European cars, and I gave my daughter, who has just
passed her driving test, the above information before she drove off solo for
the first time. On the way out of the gate she screeched to a halt because a
red light was on.

It was the parking brake warning light, because she hadn't quite released it
100% so the light was still on.

So the 'stop for a red light rule' works almost all the time.

Almost, but not all!

Cheers

Alan