<VV> My Happy 4th of July (belated) plus heat issues

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 5 02:39:11 EDT 2009

I took the Monza to our NTCA 34th Annual Picnic today.  I just have
to say that I LOVE to drive my Monza.  Although the car is factory A/
C, I don't have it connected (no condensor or compressor installed,
though I have the original equipment) so I drive with the windows
down. It was 97 today, but on the highway to the picnic I was not
bothered.  I had the wife to follow with the kids ( 4 and 1) in the
Durango so they could have air. I have kept the lower shrouds on this
season because I usually take short trips, and I wanted to make sure
that the oil heated properly (220 degrees +) in order to avoid acid
in the block.   Anyway, my Falcon dual CHT indicated that the temps
were steady at 240-50.  Although this may not be "accurate" (due to
the placement of the senders under spark plugs #'s 3 and 4) it is
what has been the normal temperature since the rebuild two years
ago.  What has given me pause is the oil temps.  They have been going
to 275 which is just at the limit of my gauge (a converted water
gauge which goes to 280).  The sensor is located just above the oil
pan in the triangle on the right side of the block.  That is higher
than normal as before this summer it was normally in the 240-265
range.  I did have the shrouds off last summer, and that may be
making the difference, but I don't quite understand why the CHT temps
don't reflect that temp change.  I have used a hand held temp sensor
(laser light  version that I bought at Harbor Freight) to measure the
head, oil pan, and oil cooler when the oil gauge reached 275.  It was
showing the oil pan at 240ish, the oil cooler at 205ish (measured at
a small crack between the top plate and the side plate), and the
heads at 240ish (of course after I had pulled over).  These are VERY
deflashed heads and I am using Brad Penn Racing oil with a Mobil 1
filter.  The belt is adjusted per the finger/alternator fan method.
I feel that I need to install a second oil temp sensor in order to
check the accuracy of the first.  Thermal breakdown is not an
option.  I'm currently awaiting a shipment of new brake springs for
the front and back in order eliminate that as a reason for the brakes
not fully releasing.

P.S.  I plan to get out and drive on July the 7th in celebration of
the 50th year since production began.

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
President / North Texas Corvair Association
CORSA
Corvaireum II

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza Hardtop 110   - The original four door
sports car
Sierra Tan, Saddle, zero rust, PG, A/C, original AM/FM (still works),
clock (twice a day), tint, oil bath air filter, bumper guards, day/
night mirror