<VV> My Happy 4th of July (belated) plus heat issues

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 5 10:21:06 EDT 2009

Well, I will probably do that once this last oil change has served
its purpose - gone 3K miles.  I still have about 2.5K to go.  I used
dyno because I was within the 5-10K break in period for the sealing
of the gaskets that I understood was necessary before the switch
over.  I have bee concerned about some oil leaks that I have seen.  I
heard that leaks with dyno could turn into torrents with synthetic.
The leaks coming out one of the small holes in the skid plate and
what appears to be the opening in the bell housing, could be
described as very minor (five or six drops after running and then
sitting for several hours).  After talking to club members, several
of whom with over twenty years experience in owning and rebuilding
Corvairs and who helped during the rebuild 5K miles ago, they assured
me that it is nothing to worry about and happens to just about all
Corvairs.  They then told me that the major leak issue when changing
to synthetic is one that older leaking engines have, not new
rebuilds.  BTW, I used Clark's ultimate gasket kit in the rebuild
including Vitron in all possible areas.  Therefore, during the next
oil change, I will be reverting to synthetic.

Stephen