<VV> Work uniforms, was: Communiqué

Rick Norris ricknorris at suddenlink.net
Sun Jul 5 14:51:14 EDT 2009

I have spent most of my working time in engineering drafting rooms. Back in
the day all engineers and draftsman wore dress shirts and neck ties. Also
most draftsman wore special sleeves over thier arms to keep pencil dust off
the shirts and they usually wore green eye shades.
By the time I came along in the sixtiesq it was more casual depending on
whom you worked for. Slacks and sport shirts were the norm.
Now days it doesn't seem to matter. I usually am at a clients facility and
sometimes out in the plant its self.
 where the uniform of the day is usually full Nomex coveralls and other
personal protective equipment.

Rick

When I started work at IBM (as an engineer) back in 1963, the "uniform" for
professionals and customer engineers (service people) was white shirt and
tie (conservative).  The story behind including the service people in this
uniform requirement is that one day, T.J. Watson, Senior was visiting a
customer account and riding up in the elevator with a customer executive.
Two somewhat scruffy looking guys got on the elevator, and when they got
off, Mr. Watson made a remark to the customer executive about their
appearance.  To which the exec replied, "Those are your customer engineers,
Mr. Watson."

So, a dress code ensued that was modeled on the image of a conservative
banker.  There was, however, a side benefit to the white shirt -- when they
got dirty from working on a piece of unit record equipment, you could bleach
the heck of them.

On the professional side, a white shirt and tie had long been the uniform of
all companies.  I suspect those in the pictures were managers,
professionals, or technicians.

Dave Keillor