<VV> Just for starters

jryall jryall at juno.com
Thu Jul 9 11:45:38 EDT 2009

My car would not crank over the other day.  The solenoid only clicked.
At first I thought that the battery was dead but that was not the case.
The starter seemed to be jammed.  Today, I just rotated the engine a few
degrees with the fan belt and the starter worked. What causes the starter
to hang up like this?  It only happens rarely.  The car is a powerglide.
Is there a cure?  Is it possible that the spring in the solenoid is not
strong enough to retract the starter from the ring gear under certain
conditions?

John Ryall