<VV> Transmission Issues

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Sat Jul 11 15:51:53 EDT 2009

 Just make sure it's a 66-69 4 speed, and if memory serves, all Corsas had 3:55 final drives.

If only the input shaft has failed, you might get away with just cleaning everything out, and fixing the problems. My off the cuff guess is, the metal was generated when the shaft broke, and probably hasn't been in there very long at all. On the other hand, take off the top cover of the diff, and the side cover of the trans. If ANYTHING looks scorched, there's problems. The ring gear will show obvious scratches and blue marks on the drive side of the teeth if it's been run without oil at all long. That's the most likely place where something would get hurt first. If everything looks peachy, I'd refill it and use it, changing the oil a couple of time in the first couple of hundred miles.

But that's just me. When I was very young and broke, I had a pair of 4 speed trannies that leaked their oil, and I was amazed at how long they went. I rebolted the tranny to the diff, filled them up, and got LOTS more miles out of them.