<VV> input shaft failure

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Jul 12 11:02:58 EDT 2009

At 10:52 AM 7/12/2009, N2VZD at aol.com wrote:
>in my past the only thing i saw cause an input shaft fail was a problem in
>the differential.  of course this was in corvair powered corvairs with
>"normal?" driving for a young snot like me doing occasional heavy
>foot actions.
>  2nd was in a shop in vt...lack of gear oil, 3rd was around here...lack of
>gear  oil...
>i still have the remains of that one in my tool box as a special corvair
>tool for clutch alignment...

I snapped an input shaft once while bangshifting 3rd gear with 11"
wide tires in back.   I expected the tires to bark but instead they
hooked.   Suddenly, 5 neutrals.

Mine broke about 2" back from the input gear end.   It made removing
that short piece an interesting proposition especially since I did it
in a parking lot on the side of the road.    I don't bangshift 'Vair
gearboxes anymore, not like that.

tony..