<VV> PG Transmission Questions?

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 15 02:43:11 EDT 2009

>This week, I have noticed a serious PG Transmission oil  leak.  Right
>now, it is difficult to tell what is causing this problem.

Agree with Harry Y -- until you know at least something about the leak,
you probably won't fix it even if you did a lot of the things you
mentioned -- for instance, maybe it is the shift cable, or maybe you
cracked the case.  Remember, I said "maybe".  Find out where the oil is
coming from first.  Yes, that means cleaning it up with a power washer
or a can of Gunk and a hose or some such, park it over a clean piece of
cardboard and see where it drips, for a start.  Then start it up and let
it warm up a bit. Does it leak more?  Drive it around the block, turn
the cardboard over, and try the park test again -- continue until you
have some idea of where it is leaking,  Maybe repeat a second and/or
third time, starting with the cleaning.  You could check/tighten all the
pan bolts and the fill tube nut for a start.  Make sure the shift cable
retaining screw is still retaining the shift cable.

Or, if you are simply going stark raving looney 'cause you don't have
anything to fix, go get an old 'Glide and overhaul it, then swap out the
tranny. Drivetrain removal is recommended.

Etc,

Bill Strickland