<VV> Karmann Ghia Corvair - Belt Life

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Wed Jul 15 23:30:22 EDT 2009

At 08:30 PM 7/15/2009, Chris & Bill Strickland wrote:
>Ron wrote:
>
> > A belt lasts ten years now so ...
>

>I am not yet convinced that you loose belt people are keeping your
>engines as well cooled as they could be, thus loosing in engine life
>what you are gaining in belt life.  Let's see, $10 belt vs. $Thousands
>engine job ...
>
>Oh, I forget, nobody (very darn few at least) *drives* their cars
>anymore -- they just show and race them, or worse, just park them --
>
>hmmm,

Hmmm   nuthin.

There are two here (67 coupe and 60 sedan) that serve daily driver
duty and have for a long time.

By the way:

Re-  sideways alternator alternative:

Use a Suzuki alternator the likes of what you'd see on a Samurai or a
Metro etc.  It's dinky so space isn't an issue, but it still cranks
out some respectable current (more than a 'Vair is ever likely to
need) and it's durable and mounting it should be no more an issue
than fabricating a bracket.    These same little alternators have
shown up on everything from Goldwing motorcycles to off-road race
cars.    And, they use a v-belt instead of a serpentine mess.

tony..     got a couple