<VV> My Plans for Monday

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Sat Jul 18 07:57:00 EDT 2009

On Jul 17, 2009, at 6:09 PM, Robert Marlow wrote:

> On July 20, 1969, I was riding shotgun in my father's 1964 Greenbrier,
> on a highway in New Jersey known as the Garden State Parkway.  At 4:18
> PM that day, we heard on the car's radio:
>
> "Houston, Tranquility Base here.  The Eagle has landed."
>
> How big a moment was that?  To this day, every time -- and I mean
> every
> time -- that I drive past the point on the highway where we were when
> this happened, I think of it.  Every time.
>
> Monday will mark 40 years to the day.
>
> Dad's been gone over ten years now.  But I still have his Greenbrier.
> On Monday, at 4:18 PM, with the radio on, I will be driving past -- or
> stopped at -- that very location.
>
> Where you in a Corvair when man first landed on the Moon?

We had just moved to Mansfield, Ohio from Chicago, for my new job
designing portable appliances at the Westinghouse, Mansfield Design
Center. We were staying at the hotel on Park Avenue West. It's a
Holiday Inn now, but I think it was independent then. All I remember
about staying there was eating in the Blue Dolphin restaurant in the
hotel. We had two small boys and the waitresses would help feed them
and I'd give them good tips.

There was a race going on at Mid-Ohio when we arrived there, probably
a few days before the moon landing, as there were several race cars in
the parking lot. I knew this was going to be a great place to live!

I remember when they first stepped onto the moon's surface, watching
on TV in our room with our two small boys, telling them to try and
remember watching this historic event. The older one was almost four,
but probably doesn't remember it.

It would be a couple of years or so until we went to Cleveland and
brought back our first Corvair.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
Treasurer & Membership Chairman