<VV> Monday

jwcorvair at aol.com jwcorvair at aol.com
Sat Jul 18 16:10:30 EDT 2009

I was 19, sitting in my parent's basement rec room, the lights dim, watching a grainy black and white image on our television. I had grown up with the space program and had planned on becoming an astronaut. But when I was younger I had to start wearing glasses, which pretty much meant that I would never make it into the program. Still, this was one of the most exciting moments of my life.

Corvair content (yes there is!). At the time of the landing, we had just moved to Colorado from Minnesota. As part of the move, we drove from Eden Prairie to Boulder in a $5 1960 700 sedan - powder blue with a white roof. It was $5 because that was how much my brother had spent in raffle tickets to win the car. It was rusty and creaky, but darn reliable. It had a three speed that didn't require use of the clutch to shift between second and third - a very entertaining feature. I drove that car for a couple of more years until the rust caused the electrical system to fail. Those two years were all it took. That car was different, futuristic (even though it was no longer made).

So, that evening, after dinner I jumped into the Corvair and drove up to the look out parking lot on Flagstaff mountain. I sat in the car watching the shadows turn from blue to purple to black. With the quiet voice of Walter Cronkite on the radio, I watched the moon come up and thought about how, years of dreaming, we had finally gone to the moon. There was nothing that we couldn't do.

Regards,
Joe White
CORSA, RMC