<VV> New heads, an approach...

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Tue Jul 21 06:45:49 EDT 2009

ScottyGrover at aol.com wrote:
The stock design was the '60's answer to making an engine cheaper, not
better; sure, they eliminated  gaskets and studs and nuts, but previous to
this design, all Chevys had separate heads and manifolds; I had never heard
that  leakage was a grave problem; it never was on any car I had ever
had----but then,  I was always going to an aftermarket intake for more carburetion.
Have you  ever seen a Carter 4-bbl carb. on a 300 cid Ford six with forged
crank?  It  went mucho fast in my '51 Kaiser coupe.

Scotty from Hollyweird
Many years ago my partner and I decided to build a really quick figure 8 racer.  The track rules would not allow our rear engine Corvair so the second choice was a 66 Fairlane 2 dr hardtop ... with the 300 ci engine, forged 12.5:1 pistons, long rods, forged truck crank and Clifford 6=8 manifold supporting a Holley 700 cfm carb.  Estimated at 440 hp and enough torque to occasionally snap of a 31 spline axle shaft, the engine did have a gasket problem.  We would arrive at the track with a new head gasket, qualify [usually fast time], run two races then change the blown head gasket during intermission and be ready for the figure 8 feature.  The Ford 4 bolt circle head pattern was not sufficient to keep head gaskets alive.  The thin pressed steel gaskets would be extruded back into the water jackets!  ********************************************************************* Has consideration been given in the new Corvair head design to an integral cylinder / head with an iron liner?
Ken P