<VV> New heads, an approach...

ScottyGrover at aol.com ScottyGrover at aol.com
Tue Jul 21 12:06:03 EDT 2009

In a message dated 7/21/09 4:46:47 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
kenpepke at juno.com writes:

Many  years ago my partner and I decided to build a really quick figure 8
racer.  The track rules would not allow our rear engine Corvair so the
second choice was a 66 Fairlane 2 dr hardtop ... with the 300 ci engine,  forged
12.5:1 pistons, long rods, forged truck crank and Clifford 6=8 manifold
supporting a Holley 700 cfm carb.  Estimated at 440 hp and enough torque  to
occasionally snap of a 31 spline axle shaft, the engine did have a gasket
problem.  We would arrive at the track with a new head gasket, qualify
[usually fast time], run two races then change the blown head gasket during
intermission and be ready for the figure 8 feature.  The Ford 4 bolt  circle head
pattern was not sufficient to keep head gaskets alive.  The  thin pressed
steel gaskets would be extruded back into the water  jackets!

I think at least part of your problem was that 12.5:1 C.R.; my rig was for
street driving and while the head was polished, it wasn't milled--just a
240 cid  head on a 300 cid engine.

Scotty from Hollyweird

.
**************What's for dinner tonight?  Find quick and easy dinner ideas