<VV> Brake update and shoe question

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 28 16:43:16 EDT 2009

I had the drums checked yesterday and they are in round and within
0.010 of original with very good surfaces.   This has now been
eliminated as a source of the rubbing.  I had ordered a complete set
of new springs and have installed the front springs and shoes.  I
also installed the other two of the new set of shoes on the passenger
side.  At the time, I had forgotten that shoes needed to be replaced
in sets (front or back) when I replaced the driver's side shoes about
500 miles ago when I had the leaking wheel cylinder on that side.
I'm cutting my disassembly and reassembly time on each wheel with
practice, practice, and more practice ...  ggg.  I've decided to
replace the rear shoes also.  I would like some opinion on the
preferred make of shoes that I have to choose from locally.  There is
Raybestos ($42.50), Wagner ($33) and the cheapos True Stop (NAPA),
ProStop (PEP Boys), and BrakeBest (O'Reilly's) and Duralast (Auto
Zone) that are in the $13 to $20 range.  Decelerating minds want to
know.

P.S. I haven't forgotten about the m/c - pedal adjustment.  I'm just
replacing, updating and checking my way towards that.

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
President / North Texas Corvair Association
CORSA
Corvaireum II

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza Hardtop 110

The Original Four Door Sports Car