<VV> Carb base leak

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Mon Jun 1 22:11:47 EDT 2009

I thought about the idle vent valve when Steve first mentioned spraying
the base of the carb. But I thought it shouldn't have that great an
effect, but maybe it does.

The idle vent valve (aka vapor vent) is not a vacuum leak. It vents the
area above the throttle plate only at idle, when the throttle plate is
closed. If the throttle plate is slightly open, then spraying something
at the base of the carb will get into the venturi area. OK, so it is a
controlled vacuum leak.

This vent was added in 1964 to aid in venting the carb venturi to avoid
hot start issues. Fuel percolation after shut down caused vapor to build
up in the venturi. Then you had a very rich mixture if you restarted soon.

So what Steve is seeing may be normal.

Bob may add corrections.

Frank DuVal