<VV> Oil in Muffler

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Tue Jun 2 12:23:43 EDT 2009

In a message dated 6/2/2009 3:49:02 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
johnvi at cloud9.net writes:

I toped  off the engine oil the other day and slightly over filled it
(65  110).  I later discovered that the extra oil had found its way
into the right muffler and made much smoke out of the pipe as it
burned off.  My question is: how did the oil get inside the  right
exhaust pipe and muffler?

John, I really doubt that this is your problem. First, slightly over
filling the oil sump will not cause that type of problem at all. Also, are you
sure that the oil has accumulated in the muffler? If it is in the muffler, it
 must have come there while the engine was running and oil seeped by the
rings,  or some other way. Remember, if oil is in the muffler, it will take
quite a  period of running to heat the muffler enough to vaporize the oil.
More likely  what is happening is a coincident occurrence of the cylinders
cooling to an  out-of-round condition and the oil passing by the rings upon
initial cold start  up.
Please comment.
Regards,
Bob Helt