<VV> screws, was: '65 Engine to Body Seal Screws

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 3 10:36:43 EDT 2009

Those particular screws [you call them "tophat", I call them "deepwell"
(quarter-inch screws)] are, among other places, used to attach the heater
cables. They come in blunt-nose and pointed-nose styles and (the latter)
are great for attaching the rear air exhaust grille. They won't fall off
your socket while you're fumbling around trying to find the freakin' hole.
They are also great for attaching the a/c hose strap under the right rocker
on LM's. The blunt-nose style won't tear up your hand as you are washing
down the rocker. Just wish Clark's could find a source for them, as they're
probably the most versitile screw on the car.

(Note the tech tips above.)

-Mark

metal screws. The change to the top hat, as you call them, 1/4" head screws
was in mid '66. My white Stinger in the 130XXX range has the 5/16ths head,
while the next numerical '66 Corsa, at 147XXX, in the collection has 1/4"
head. I have earlier and later '66's that correspond to the change between
these #'s. I also have a '66 LOS Corsa from Dec '65 that has 1/4" head
screws. I previously owned a LOS '65 Monza in the L11XXXX range that had
5/16" head screws.