<VV> FC Crashworthiness

Robert Marlow Vairtec at optonline.net
Fri Jun 5 10:27:51 EDT 2009

At 01:22 AM 6/5/2009, Alan and Clare Wesson wrote:

>This is why I sold my 8-door. After we had an impact into the motorway
>barrier head-on at 65 and then a roll-over, following a blowout in an 80s
>sedan a few years back, which the whole family survived unhurt, I realised
>that we would have had no chance of surviving the crash in the 8-door, and
>so much as I loved it, I sold it.

 From the time I got my drivers license as a teenager in 1969, though
the mid-80s, I drove Greenbriers and other FCs all the time, all
over, literally coast-to-coast, at high speeds.  Never really
concerned myself with the crashworthiness, even though I had seen
Charlie Biddle's crushed truck in Detroit in 1979, and even though a
trash collector once delivered the unsolicited wisdom, "If yous ever
has an accident, yous gonna be the first one there!"

Then I got married.  Suddenly, the Greenbrier seemed exactly as safe
as driving any car whilst sitting on the front bumper.  As a result,
it rarely got driven.

Last Fall, Sue and I took it out for our club's annual Foliage Tour,
and I was reminded again of how much I enjoy these vehicles.  This
Spring, Sue and I bought a Rampside.  Jay Leno kindly reminded us of
how safe it is -- "You are the airbag" -- but the Rampside is being
licensed for daily-driver use.

--Bob