<VV> Brakes

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Jun 7 11:37:42 EDT 2009

At 07:51 PM 6/6/2009, Rick Norris wrote:
>Well,
>Today I got in to the brake problem I had at Beaverun.
>As has been told the left front brake was dragging and destroyed the drum by
>over heating it. Also wrecked the loner drum from Chuck.
>The trailing brake shoe has worn down to the rivits from the inside edge
>toward the outside edge. It appears the shoe was cocking itself somehow. The
>outer edge looked fine but, when I got it off and cleaned it up it was
>obvious. The hold down springs were all in place. I don't have a clue as to
>what made it do that.
>Ya'll???

The only time I've seen shoes wear unevenly like this was when the
drum had worn wrong and had slight taper. or the shoe itself wasn't
the right width.    Even a new shoe in this situation won't ride on
the drum correctly and it tries to "tilt" and the aggravation is made
worse by the slight angle the shoe exhibits to the drum being
amplified by the wheel cylinder pushrod that tries to tilt the shoe
even farther.

Of course if the drums were all refaced and true to begin with and
the shoe is the right width, all bets are off...

But I've seen this same thing several times and each time the drum
had taper or the shoe was the wrong width.

tony..