<VV> Ah, Carter, Just when you thought I knew Ye...

Duane, Jim E. JDuane at advprograms.com
Mon Jun 8 08:35:19 EDT 2009

Sure!  A couple o'weeks ago I give sage advice on the Carter carb, I experience a problem I can't easily fix!  Such a devilishly simple device!  My YH is simply running too rich.  I can improve the situation by lowering the fuel level, setting the float to 3/4".  That gives me about 1/4 turn out on the mixture screw to best idle.  As I figured, that results in a hesitation on acceleration.  I never needed to do that in the past.  All the usual suspects of float, fuel pressure, accel pump diaphragm, float valve, and lid gasket I have ruled out.
	Sooo, I look up one of the gems that have been kindly offered on this forum in the past: The YH Circuit Theory.  OK, for the Carbmeister and Carb-ologists out there, I am curious about the following statement:

"Gasoline enters the idle well through the metering rod jet.  The low speed jet measures the amount of fuel for idle and early part throttle operation.  The air by pass, economizer, and idle air bleed are carefully calibrated and serve to break up the liquid fuel and mix it with air as it moves through the passage to the idle port and idle adjustment screw port."

I see the low speed jet.  Where is the economizer, by pass and bleed?  I figure if any of them are blocked or the economizer is missing then I may be on to something.
Any ideas welcome!

Jim Duane
'66 180 Corsa CVT
Colonial Corvairs