<VV> V8 Conversion

craig nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Tue Jun 9 11:55:21 EDT 2009

Dan Wrote:

Hello All,

Does anyboby know of documentation on doing a REAR engine V8 conversion?

I am not willing to lose the back seat. Any seggestions would be greatly

appriciated!!

Dan

Craig Replies:

I'm doing a rear-engine conversion right at the moment. This "kit" uses a
215 Olds/Buick Aluminum V8 in the rear location. I'm not aware of any
documentation for the conversion. This engine weighs the same as the
Corvair, mine has been bored to displace 250 cubic inches (4.1L) and has
been modified for reverse rotation. Way back when, Isky made some reverse
cams (very hard to find now) and Kennedy (K.E.P.) made bellhousings and
flywheels. The conversion uses a stock Corvair transaxle. With a larger
budget, one could install this engine (regular rotation) with a Porsche 5-sp
transaxle.

Charlie Morgan (Corsa Oregon) has a rear 4.3 V6 conversion that's awesome,
and as mentioned previously in the thread, "Mel" has an SBC in the rear of
an EM powerglide Monza. Several folks have installed larger Olds V8s with
Toronado automatic trans located over the rear axle. You might want to check
out the V8Vairs website and check out the dozens of cars listed there.

Craig Nicol