<VV> "61 window chrome removal

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Thu Jun 11 23:14:48 EDT 2009

At 08:12 PM 6/11/2009, Michael Kovacs wrote:

>I'd like to remove the chrome trim from a '61 900 windshield. I have
>the assy book, but advice is necessary to see who has a method of
>taking the chrome off the rubber from someone who has done it.

Been there done that several different times with my own stuff and a
few more with other peoples' stuff.    And yes, I managed to break
one windshield along the way during my learning experience.

It's no fun.   If the rubber is hard, you may as well remove the
windshield because you're never gonna get the stainless trim out of
that gasket with the windshield in place without ruining either the
trim or the glass.     It's not actually all that hard to remove the
windshield with gasket on it from the car if you're careful... and
dedicated.   It helps if you have someone helping, to assist in
pushing the glass (with gasket still on it) out of the frame from
inside the car.

Do not try to remove the glass from the gasket first.   It will only
ruin the gasket if it's original (and hard) but still usable.    Do
not try to remove the stainless from the rubber in any event without
having the glass with gasket out of the car.

Others in here have removed glass with gasket and I'm sure they'll
chime in.   I've done it by CAREFULLY bracing my back in the seat and
putting my feet up against the glass (wearing tennis shoes) and
pushing... slowly... a bit at a time, carefully spacing feet so as to
apply pressure equally across the glass, with someone else in the
seat beside you doing the same thing.    It takes CARE and a gentle
touch, and prying up the lip of the gasket inside the car
helps.    The gasket lip inside the car is usually still soft enough
to bend sufficiently to allow the glass with gasket to come out, but
it's still a good idea to be very careful.   It won't hurt to grease
things up a tad with WD-40 or Black Magic to help that gasket slip
out of the window frame.

If the gasket is already trash and rock hard, cracked, brittle, and
for all intents and purposes useless, you may wanna replace the
gasket anyway and in such an event it's ok to cut the gasket away
from the windshield, which also allows you to wiggle the trim out IF
you're careful.

Watch it... the lip of the trim is "L'ed" into and under the gasket
up beneath the glass itself so if you try to pull it straight out
it's gonna hang at best, or kink and bend, or just snag on the glass
and crack it at worst.     Considering the scarcity of early
windshields these days, it may be worth taking no chances and
sacrificing the gasket...  which is available new from vendors and
it's cheaper that a replacement windshield.

If you replace the stainless trim even with a new gasket, put it all
together FIRST, trim in the gasket which is then installed on the
windshield, then install the lot into the car.    Don't try to
install the trim into a gasket on the car with a windshield in it
unless you wanna chance cracking the windshield...  or unless you're
DAMNED good at it.

This is my observation on the subject as gleaned by trial and error
over the years.    Others may well (with good reason) have better ideas.

tony..