<VV> "61 window chrome removal

Kenneth E Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Sat Jun 13 07:25:37 EDT 2009

> At 08:12 PM 6/11/2009, Michael Kovacs wrote:
>
> I'd like to remove the chrome trim from a '61 900 windshield. I
> have
> >the assy book, but advice is necessary to see who has a method of
> >taking the chrome off the rubber from someone who has done it.

If you wish to replace the w/s rubber the safest way [for the
windshield] is to cut the rubber lip off the gasket on the inside
of the car.  Cut it all the way around.  The w/s may then be
carefully lifted out or the body windshield opening.

To save the w/s rubber one must push the rubber lip from
inside the body opening to outside the body flange.  Working
from inside the car, start at the top center of the w/s and work
towards the sides of the car one screwdriver width at a time.
Next go down the 'A' pillars then across each side of the
bottom to the center.  Do not think you will be able to lift any
portion of the bottom edge off the body flange.  The chances
of cracking the glass are great.

The easiest way to remove the back light of a two door
model is to get into the back seat upside down and place
you feet on the glass.  It takes quite a bit of steady leg
pressure but the rubber will slip from around the body
flange and the glass will be out.  There is risk of breaking
the glass of a four door with the overhanging roof.  A
very messy mistake :-[

DO NOT ever try this with the front windshield.  The glass
most certainly break and the possibility of getting cut on
the shards is great.
Ken P
With years of junk yard experience