<VV> EM windshield removal

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sat Jun 13 15:53:25 EDT 2009

At 12:08 PM 6/12/2009, Geoffrey Stozek wrote:
>There is a simple fool proof method for removing early model
>windshields (and rear windows).   After experimenting with the
>"gentle" foot pressure method on junkyard cars in the late 60's and
>failing about 50% of the time, I decided there had to be a better
>way.    The key is holding the rubber back from the frame on the
>inside.   To do this I use blocks of wood, about 1/2 or 3/4 of an
>inch square by 4 inches.   I start at one point along the top of the
>windshield, placing a block between the rubber and the steel window
>frame.   I place these blocks all along the top and a couple along
>each side starting at the top.   With the blocks in place, the top
>of the windshield can be pushed out with very little pressure.

Good point.   I should have been more explicit in my remarks
regarding pushing the windshield out of the frame from inside via
some careful footwork (WITH SOME HELP)... relieving the gasket's grip
on the windshield frame in a manner such as you described will help a lot.

I usually used pieces of whittled-on paint stir sticks.  That, and
liberal doses of WD-40 or some other sort of slickum like Black Magic
squirted between the gasket lip and window frame to help the gasket
slip past the frame.

Another reader mentioned to never try to tilt the glass forward via
pivoting it on the bottom section of gasket.    This is excellent
advice because doing this WILL crack the windshield (it's also VERY
particularly easy to break a late 'vair windshield this way).   Push
the glass straight out from the frame all the way around and don't
let it pivot on anything or any edge.

The key word here is to make sure to employ some relief to that
gasket grip, such as prying out the inside lip of the gasket and
having some assistance in the form of a friend who knows what to do
when it comes time to push the glass out of the frame.    Unless the
gasket is excellent and soft and very pliable, never try to push a
windshield out via feet without some help as described above.   But
if you grease it up and pry the gasket lip back the glass and gasket
will come out easier than you might imagine.   :)

tony..