<VV> V-8 Vairs

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Sun Jun 14 09:27:44 EDT 2009

Robert and others:  Corvair people have a long history of turning a nice 4
seater family economy car into "toy cars".  Within about a year of
introduction, if you have them to check, ads for parts to customize and up
date bodies, engine and suspension systems began appearing in magazines like
Hot Rod, Motor Trend and just about any other publication you can name.

The very first article I have about putting a V-8 into a Corvair is in Hot
Rod, Oct 1964. (!!)  And yes, it was a EM (!!!) with a SB Chevy.    The B-O
alloy V-8 engine conversion was written up in the Jan 1968 Hot Rod.  The
Crown mid-engine conversion was covered in Hot Rod, Sept 1968.  Both the
Kelmark Toro and their mid-engine conversions came shortly thereafter, but I
stopped looking in my file.  It is not in chronological order.

So, stuffing a V-8 into a Corvair is not a new idea by any means.  People
have not been following you suggestion for a really long time.  Fortunately,
it doesn't have to make sense to you.  Just know that, for whatever the
reason, it does make sense to others.  I enjoy all Corvairs, from box stock
to whatever, and hope you do to.

Historically Yours,
                   James Rice
                   CORSA member since mid-70's
                   Former Chairman of the Competition Committee
                   Member of original CPF Advisorary Committee
                   CORSA/CPF BoD member and CPF Liaison 1999-01
                   Occasional contributor to the Communique

Message: 3