<VV> late windshield panel repair

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Jun 14 18:52:27 EDT 2009

At 01:55 PM 6/14/2009, Ron wrote:
>The factory repair panel, which I had purchased, was useless  as the
>main rust problem is closer to the corners and beyond the relatively
>short length of the repair panel.  It requires cutting into the side
>posts and replacing rusted metal there.
>RonH

That's usually where the worst of it is.

I have a variety of cardboard (I'm cheap) templates to make patches
that replace the leaded seam from about 10 inches from the pillar out
to the edge of the fender-door jamb.   The hardest part is the
hammer-dolly work to form the patches, what with the curves and bends
to fit the patch to the corner.

Lots of late 'Vairs tend to rust here, even the ones garage
kept...  the lead cracks, moisture gets in, metal mites set up housekeeping.

It IS a good idea to remove all that leaded seam filler along with
any rusted metal and replace it, since the fix is usually good for
the rest of the car's life when done right.

tony..