<VV> Camaro front spoiler

Robert Marlow Vairtec at optonline.net
Tue Jun 16 12:33:04 EDT 2009

Travis Payne wrote:

> there are some metal rods that are meant to attach to the back of the spoiler and brace it by bolting to the car body...   there are 3 of them, one behind each side and one for the middle.  They seemed to fit the Corvair fine.  My son only installed the two on the sides, reasoning that if he scrwed up and ran the spoiler into a curb in a parking place or something, that it would only damage the spoiler and not bend the sheet metal.

Gary Funkhouser also mentioned these braces which are stock for the
Camaro application.  But I advise against their use, for exactly the
reason your son anticipates.

I have used this Camaro spoiler on two different Corvairs, and it works
well and looks nice and stays in place just fine without the braces.  A
related piece of advise is, don't attach it to the car very well.  I
learned this one the hard way.  I put nice big fender washers under the
heads of the screws that held the spoiler to the body.  When I hit that
inevitable obstruction, those fender washers ensured that the spoiler
ripped the screws from the steel body.  [Insert dope slap here.]  The
replacement was installed with no washers at all -- I want the plastic
spoiler to be sacrificial.

--Bob