<VV> Cooling Boosted Corvairs Re: You know your Turbo is working when...

FrankCB frankcb at aol.com
Sat Jun 20 21:46:06 EDT 2009

John,
     As Oldsmobile (remember them?) learned the hard way with the Jetfire, you cannot depend on the public to remember or even be bothered with refilling the water tank when needed.  Olds had to replace many of the Jetfire's turbo systems (including the water injection) with simple 4 barrel carbs.  With today's ultra sophisticated computer control systems that can guard the engine/turbo setup against overtemp., overboost, and a myriad of other dangerous developments, today's mfrs can avoid depending on the casual driver to have to replace the water by simply NOT having water injection.
     Now if we could only have the computer control the condensation of the water vapor in the exhaust and recycle it back into a water injection system we could eliminate the need for the casual public to have to remember to manually replace the consumed water.<GGGGG>
     The fact that 20,000 of our fighter planes in World War 2 used water injection to wring out the maximum power from their engines should convince us that water injection does have some merit.
     And the fact that Nissan and Subaru and other mfrs don't offer water injection doesn't mean that it is no good, anymore than the fact that they don't offer Corvairs means that Corvairs are no good!!<GGG>
     QED
     Frank Burkhard