<VV> Update on dribbling turbo carb problem

Bob Gilbert bgilbert at redshift.bc.ca
Sun Jun 21 14:24:41 EDT 2009

Just a follow up to my earlier email.

After about 1500 miles of mostly trouble free driving since a total rebuild
of my 66 180 , it started to run rough and then I noticed that gas was
dribbling out of the carb throat at idle and then positively gushing out
after initial shut off.

After  a fair amount of detective work, ruling out the usual suspects(inlet
needle, diaphragm, float settings, etc)  it turned out that my fuel pressure
regulator had failed in the full open mode and the electric pump was pushing
gas into the carb at 6 PSI or higher (6 PSI is the highest reading on my
fuel pressure gauge). We still aren’t sure how it failed in this mode (dirt
maybe??) but once the regulator problem was corrected and set at its usual 2
½ pounds the engine ran fine and everything was back to normal.

I also found out that these low pressure regulators are not as easy to come
by anymore because most aftermarket units on the shelves are now high
pressure units for EFI systems.

Regards and thanks to everybody who offered their advice along the way!

Bob