<VV> New Fuel inj turbo vair and Cooling Boosted Corvairs

Frank F Parker fparker at umich.edu
Mon Jun 22 12:02:05 EDT 2009

> Street running is never going to involve full throttle max output for
> more than ten seconds at a time unless you're a sadist.   Most
> Corvair engines with any performance mods, especially forced
> induction, won't tolerate much more than that without some serious
> help, via water or intercooling or something, and then it's a mixed
> bag because of the limited amount of cooling area the 'vair engine
> has to offer.
  Tony

Years ago before I started the N* project I thought of doing a modern
turbo vair but did not because GM proved during its tests that cooling
was inadequate for long periods of WOT. So I did N* instead.

Later I realized like Tony above that you really do not need "adequate"
cooling if your goals are a street engine with big bottom end torque and
fast response becuse in a few sec you will be going as fast as is
responsible unless on track.

Thus i am close to being done with a "modern" fuel injected, ball bearing
turbo corvair engine. I just posted 18 pictures on fastvair photo section.

Engine is slightly bored corvair 2.7L with forged coated piston running
8.5 CR and .032 squish. Heads are done by Ray Sedman and are 6 port
intakes flowing 210 cfm intake and about 20% more than stock on the ported
exhaust side. Turbo is Garrett ball bearing unit capable of 450 hp and
with modern advances in aero, the turbine and compressor blades are quite
a bit smaller than stock but still flow more air at a good efficiency spot
on compressor and turbine maps. Inertia calculates out to being 50% less
than stock and with ball bearings and good sealed exhaust should spool
quick. Intake is dual plenums designed for 3500 rpm torque rise.
Ignition is Safeguard triggering a FAST E-disbtributor which receives a
cam pulse and triggers LS1 coils for direct fire.
Injectors are LS1 ard moved up on intake for improved vaporization time.
ECM is Fast using wide band O2 and has a air/fuel map like the normal VE
map so you can accurately control a/f and tune in quickly
Intercooler core is from Bell Engineering and has custom tanks for air and
water in/out. Air IC works good but not a very good source of air in back
unless you cut car and I did not wan't to do that. Overall picture shows
turbo feeding IC, then thru throttle body then split to ea plenum.Small
fuel cell holds water to run thru IC and using a small magnetically driven
pump to flow water to radiator fan opposite heater fan under shelf. There
is enough capacity in tank so in a 20 sec wot run the IC won't see same
water. Two other projects I have done with similar IC got inlet temps
within 12-15 deg of ambient.

regards,

frank parker

PS: some of shots are big. Tell me if I need to compress and reload them.

Pictures on FASTVAIR yahoo site.