<VV> milky stain

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Thu Jun 25 00:39:33 EDT 2009

At 06:23 PM 6/24/2009, John Kepler wrote:

>All,
>
>I have a problem. I've salvaged some really excellent chrome (aluminum)
>trim off a car, and they're almost perfect, except for a milky stain on
>them. It looks like some chemical was dribbled over them. Simichrome
>doesn't even touch it, and mineral sprits, tar remover, and even brake/carb
>cleaner only makes the stain disappear temporarily (until the chemical
>dries off). Anyone know how I could get rid of this stain?
>
>Based on your description, the trim is etched (by something acidic), not
>stained. You can try buffing with rouge or some other very fine abrasive, or
>maybe even clear-coating will smooth it out.

Buffing an anodized part won't help at all.   If you have access, dip
the milky part in nitric acid, aka "brite-dip", well known aluminum
cleaner.    Removes tarnish and oxidation and anodizing
fade/milk.    It won't hurt the anodized coating either.

Do NOT get any of the acid on you.  It's horror movie
stuff.   Dissolves damn near everything made of metal except
aluminum.    It also dissolves flesh, cloth, wood, even tries to eat
glass.   Be careful.

However, it will clean aluminum like nothing else without harming a
single froghair on the aluminum part.   After cleaning, wash the part
thoroughly, dry it, then clear coat it with something tough like
clear urethane etc.   You should see how a faded cloudy headlight rim
looks after a wash in nitric acid.   Don't forget that clear coat or
reanodizing or the part will fade again.

tony..        gots 5 gallons of the stuff on hand