<VV> Corvair in Print

Robert Marlow Vairtec at optonline.net
Thu Jun 25 17:56:44 EDT 2009

Excerpt from P.J. O'Rourke's new book, /Driving Like Crazy/:

I take the demise of the American car personally. I'm looking around
furiously for someone or something to blame. Ralph Nader for instance.
What fun it would be to jump on him with both feet and send the pink
Marxist goo squirting out of his cracked egghead. And let's definitely
do that even though Ralph is seventy-five and insane. But it took more
than one man and his ignorant and ill-written book /Unsafe at Any Speed/
to wreck the most important industry in the nation. (My high school
girlfriend Connie had a Corvair. Connie was the worst driver in the
world -- and one of the fastest. If Connie couldn't get that
rear-engine, swing-axle setup to spin out and flip, nobody could.)

American car designers and engineers are supposedly at fault because
American cars fell behind foreign cars in sophistication of design and
engineering. American cars fell especially behind during the 1960s era
of chrome and tailfin excess that car-hating Volvo-butts still like to
natter on about. Too much jogging has addled their brains. There's
little chrome and barely a fin to be seen on American cars after 1960,
excepting the modest lark tails on Cadillac rear fenders and the shark
attack of the 1961 Chryslers. In fact, early '60s American cars exhibit
some of the cleanest, crispest, most restrained lines in automotive
design history-the 1962 Lincoln Continental; the Avanti; the last of the
Studebaker Hawks; the 1964 Buick Electra, Oldsmobile 98, and Pontiac
Grand Prix hardtops; the 1965 Buick Riviera; those maligned Corvairs,
including the Corvair Greenbrier precursor to the minivan; Mustangs; the
1965 Pontiac GTO and similar early muscle cars; and the 1964 Rambler
American sedan in its own oddball way. Then, when it comes to
down-and-dirty, gnarly, totally unrestrained lines, there's the Corvette
Stingray.

[end of excerpt]