<VV> Trouble with PG

Keith Hammett k.j_hammett at att.net
Thu Jun 25 23:17:13 EDT 2009

I finally got up the nerve to tear into my first PG.  Overall the experiance wasn't that bad, actually it was a little satisfing.  Here is what I found.

PG#1:  All bushings worn out.  Planitary Carrier rear pump "nails" came unstaked at some point and the holes are now oval in shape.  Rear pump driven gear is banged up from the loose "nails".  Thought about re-drilling the carrier but the holes MUST be 180 degrees apart, then the gear needs to be machined the same.  Neither task is up to a black and decker.  Low band has no friction material left.  Center friction plate had hot spots.  Reason for tear down, slipping on take off that quickly progressed to no forward gear.  Pan had no "material" in it, I had removed it last year when I installed a new PG cable.  I had asked then about the amount of stuff in the pan, took picture, and was told it was normal.

So PG#2:  Bushings in much better shape, low band looks good, little bit of "material" in pan.  Case broken at rear cross member lower left (of car).  Same problem as PG#1 with "nails.  Friction plates all look good.

What causes this "nail" failure?  I have not read about it anywhere, but have two fine examples.

I am out of transmissions to take apart to find good Carrier and pump gear at this point.  So if any body has a good carrier and pump gear at reasonable price for the cause of keeping the rampside on the road let me know.  If anyone has either unknown or known good PG within 3 hours of Springfield Mo we might be able to work a deal.

I am also open to suggestions at this point.

Keith Hammett
'62 Rampside (once again in Group Red)
Willard, Mo.