<VV> Stoich Operation Re: Emission vs. Mileage Re: Road test No Corvair

FrankCB frankcb at aol.com
Fri Jun 26 20:25:44 EDT 2009

Bob,
     Good point!  During the time our Corvairs were produced, the means of controlling A/F were quite crude by today's standards.  So it was much SAFER to design our cars so the carbs operated on the RICH side of stoichiometric to be sure the cars never went over to the LEAN side which could bring combustion problems since there was no electronic device to retard the timing.  Nowadays with much more precise computer control on EFI and especially the FEEDBACK from the O2 sensor in the exhaust as well as knock sensing to provide retard, I believe we could have cars that operate (under light load) leaner than stoich.  EXCEPT the NOx emission requirement has gotten much tighter so the present designs generally try to operate AT stoich for best mileage while still keeping NOx low.  NOx emissions increase significantly once the A/F goes LEANER than stoich.  But our Corvairs, if they are tested at all, are only expected to meet emission regs that were in effect in the 60s and NOT the current regs.
     Regards,
     Frank Burkhard