<VV> Chrysler Airflow: Unibody?

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Fri Jun 26 23:54:05 EDT 2009

At 08:09 PM 6/22/2009, Wrsssatty at aol.com wrote:
>My recollection is that, while pioneering in its use of unitized
>construction, the Chrysler Airflow was not entirely unibody.  I
>believe it  had bolt
>on front fenders.

The Airflow is regarded as the first unibody car by virtue of its not
having a separate frame.

Lots of other cars that are also regarded as unibodies also have
bolt-on front fenders, including many Chrysler vehicles since 1959
(starting with the '60 Valiant) with the exception being the D body
cars (Imperial) which had frames up until 1966 after which they went
unitized (and became C bodies) as well.

Far as I know, Corvairs are the only US production unibody cars that
had welded front fenders.    (someone correct me if I blunder)

Mopars also incorporated an engine bay which was a tub that was
actually a part of the unitized body assembly.   The fenders bolted
to this tub as did the radiator and front bumper and cowl etc.   No
fender wells per se.   Myself, I'd have much rather liked to have
been able to unbolt a wiped out 'vair front fender instead of having
to cut it off.

tony..