<VV> Carburetor confusion

Brian Terry beterry at mijes.com
Sun Jun 28 17:28:01 EDT 2009

Good afternoon to all -

I am having a problem with the right side carb on my '65 Monza.  At this point, I am not sure what is a "symptom" and what is the "cause".  The observations are as follows:

1)  When the car is fully warmed up, gas leaks from the vapor vent hole near the base of the carb.

2)  Using the Unisyn, the left carb shows the ball in the middle, where the right carb doesn't move the ball at all.  If I manually close the choke on the right carb (while the car is fully warmed up and the left choke is open), then the ball will raise about 1/4 way up, but no more.  Changing the idle on the right carb doesn't move the ball at all.

3)  At idle, the car runs well

4)  Driving performance is good, unless you floor it, in which case it will hesitate.

I have been through the carb sync process a number of times, with no change.  I rebuilt both the carbs (my first carb rebuilds - so I definately could have messed something up internally).  I have taken the right carb off and cleaned/reassembled it again with no change in the behavior.  I verified all the adjustments in the service manual and found nothing out of spec.  There are no external vacuum leaks.  I should also mention that I have an electric fuel pump.  I have searched through the archives but cannot find any reference to gas leaks through the vapor vent.  Any suggestions are very much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Brian
beterry at mijes.com