<VV> Spare tire

Dave Keillor dkeillor at tconcepts.com
Mon Jun 29 13:28:22 EDT 2009

I, too, was going down the no-spare-tire road until two incidents just a
few months apart changed my mind.  I hadn't had a flat tire in years, so
I was thinking that a spare was mostly a waste of space, and I could get
along with a compressor and fix-a-flat.  After all, several new cars
have taken that approach.

The first incident was a huge pothole on a Minneapolis freeway that got
me plus about 10 other cars.  It was about 10 pm on a Friday night and
the hit blew the tire and bent the alloy rim (my wife's Alero).  I
didn't relish changing the tire on the side of the freeway, so I called
AAA.  The service truck changed the tire (minispare), and I drove the 80
miles back home on the minispare.  Had I not had the spare, the car
would have had to be towed until a wheel and tire could be located.

The second incident was on the back roads of New Mexico in a rented Kia.
A tire went flat and before I realized what had happened (it was a
gravel road), the tire was shredded.  There was no cell phone service in
that area and we were truly in the boondocks.  The minispare was enough
to get us the 50 miles or so to civilization and a new tire.

So, I still have spares in all my cars.

Dave Keillor