<VV> LM Brakes

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Tue Mar 3 13:09:06 EST 2009

All:  Just as a curious note, many years ago at the Corvair Track day at
Putman Park SW of Indy, Gary Funkhauser (sp?), who took care of Jim Schardt
Stinger race car, told me Jim used up his front brake shoes about twice as
fast as the rears.  It may have been Jim's driving style.  I don't know.
Anyhow, I asked Gary why he didn't put LM rears on the front.  Answer was he
didn't know you could or how.  So I sent him a photocopy of the Communique
article from Jan 83.   Don't know if he ever made the conversion or what the
results were if they did it.  Anybody racer have similar brake wear issues
and/or try this setup?

IMHO if you use up the LM's brakes on the street you are driving way over
any reasonable pace.  This practice will eventually see you kill yourself
and maybe others.  Personally, it would be the others I'd grieve for.

I do not recall seeing any info about brake swept area (BSA) of the various
disc conversion vs stock LM brakes.  Seems to me the BSA is the critical
factor, all other thinks being equal, in stopping power.

While I cannot speak about EM brakes, all the LM conversions to disc fall
into the "because I can" category of modification, which lots of us default
to!

Historically Yours,
                   James Rice
                   CORSA member since mid-70's
                   Former Chairman of the Competition Committee
                   Member of original CPF Advisor Committee
                   CORSA/CPF BoD member and CPF Liaison 1999-01
                   Occasional contributor to the Communique