<VV> Corsa Air conditioning Question+Answer

John Oshea jco99 at cox.net
Sat Mar 7 12:16:48 EST 2009

My original question was about installing factory A/C from a donor car into my 1965 Corsa convertible. After I cut out the dash support and installed the dash brace I discovered that the bottom of the tachometer housing interferes with the fan switch lever on the A/C control panel.

When I started the A/C installation I was not aware that the 1965 Corsa was not available with A/C, but the 1966 Corsa was. Several folks here on VV pointed that out which made me wonder if the tachometer housing was slightly different on the 1966 Corsa. According to another person here on VV the bottom of the 1966 Corsa tachometer housing is not the same shape as the 65 Corsa.

One solution to my switch problem was to remove the dash and dimple the bottom of the tach housing. Only a small dimple would be required because I found that just loosening the A/C control panel screws and letting the panel come down a little allowed the switch to work.

I really hate taking out that dash, so I decided to smooth out the rather rough top and edges of the switch lever first, then put a little lubriplate on the lever, reinstall the control panel and see what happens. Turns out the switch works now. I can feel the lever rubbing just slightly on the bottom of the tach housing, but there's no scraping sound. Both the housing and the lever have plenty of metal, so in time they should "wear in" and work just fine.

Thanks to everyone for your information and suggeations.  Here in Las Vegas even convertibles have A/C!!!!