<VV> The new gas and accelerator pumps

Tim Verthein minoxphotographer at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 7 19:12:51 EST 2009

I ran E-85 in my '64 all last spring and summer with no trouble with carbs or accelerator pumps.  The only problem I ran into was a small section of fuel line under the car, near the electric fuel pump and external filter that I have mounted under there.  About an 8 inch piece of line was the "old stuff" that got soft and started leaking.  5 minute replacement job fixed 'er right up.

For the past two years before that I ran it mostly on 10% ethanol, which is automatically sold at all pumps in Minnesota, except for the stations that opt to have an ethanol free pump, which can ONLY, by law be pumped into collector cars, gas cans for mowers, etc and other small engines.

Previous post was right -- find parts that work with the ethanol 'cause it will soon be everywhere, and driving around looking for pure gas pups will get old fast.

BTW, I'm switching it back to regular gas this year as the price difference between E-85 and gas is nearly gone now, at least here in northern Minnesota. And only two stations near me (within 20 miles) have E-85.

But just think, with E85, all 100% synthetic lubricants, and no antifreeze, it's about the greenest car on the planet.

Tim in Bovey