<VV> Restoration economics, was: Rust stopping-humor

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 8 14:41:02 EDT 2009

Reminds me of one of the "Otto the Mechanic" cartoons in Old Cars Weekly.
Otto's talking to his buddy who just finished restoring a '50 Studebaker
4door. He says "I kept meticulous records of all the parts and supplies
used, plus all my hours. And comparing all that to the finished car's
worth, I worked for...... 50 CENTS AN HOUR!?"

There's really only two reasons for restoring most cars (and especially
cars like the Corvair, where its potential resale value isn't
astronomical). The first is because the owner simply loves to work on cars,
even if he never intends to make anything on it. The second is because the
owner is in love with that particular car (sentimentality). Put the two
together and you have a labor of love.

-Mark

and