<VV> For the Engine Builders

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Sun Mar 8 15:47:30 EDT 2009

Hank,

I am behind in reading the VV posts so I don't know if your  questions have
been answered but here goes.

The 1964 110 heads will fit on your jugs but you will  most definitely not
get 110 performance.  Those heads were designed to work  with the longer stroke
164 engines introduced in 1964.

I would not use the 102 HP heads.  That engine develops  its power at high
RPM which is OK in one of the cars but the weight and poor  aerodynamics of the
FCs need an engine that develops torque at the low  end.  The 102 was offered
in the FCs only in one year for a very short time  but very few sold for
obvious reasons.  The code was VD and nobody wants  VD, right?  :-)

I have a VD engine but I will be changing it to a 110 or maybe  a 95 so that
I will have a "correct" case but a useable engine.  You may  want to consider
this.  You will need to carve out some of the aluminum on  the case halves to
clear the swing of the crankshaft.  You will also need  164 HP jugs because
they have notches at the bottom for crankshaft clearance as  well.

You will be able to use your 1964 heads with 1964 jugs but not  with later
jugs unless you bore the heads out.  The 1965 and later jugs  have a bigger
outside diameter for better head gasket sealing.  This is  recommended.  I believe
you will need to change the camshaft, as well as  the distributor or at least
the internal components to get the full 110  performance.  You may want to
work with later carbs as well.  There  were improvements over the years.  Grant
can comment on this  extensively.

The benefit of your FC engine is that it has the proper oil  fill rig and an
FC code.  Original 164 CI FC engines are very rare so if  you want 110
performance, try to find a 1964/65 FC engine and pay through the  nose, modify a 145
CI engine into a 164 CI engine or pop a 164 CI car engine in  there.  You can
suffer through with car oil filler setup or modify the  engine by boring out th
e case for the FC oil filler.

Doc
1960 Corvette; 1961 Rampside; 1962 Rampside; 1964 Spyder  Coupe, 1965
Greenbrier; 1966 Canadian Corsa Turbo Coupe; 1967 Nova SS; 1968  Camaro Ragtop
In a message dated 3/6/2009 4:23:30 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

Message:  1