<VV> Engine dilemma too

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Sun Mar 8 23:48:56 EDT 2009

Re: replacing the 80 hp FC engine. Powerglide or four speed: My answer is
the same for both: you want the larger 164 CID engine and you want it to
make torque, so that means the 889 (95 hp) camshaft. This is the highest
low-end torque combination.

Whether you use 95 or 110 hp heads, you will have ample low end torque but
it will run out of breath at higher-middle rpms and up.

If you go with 140 heads and retard the cam (the factory's "PG 140"
configuration) the bottom end will be almost as good and the engine will be
heroic (well as far as these things go) up to about 4500 rpm.

Reliable performance: 164 CID 95 hp or 110 hp. You might actually like the
95 better.

Pretty good zip: 164 CID with 95 hp cam retarded 4-degrees at the crank
("PG140") I put about 100,000 miles on an FC with a 140 (half with a std 140
and half with a PG 140).  3.55 4-speed.  The PG140 engine in front of the
4-speed was really a fun combo, especially in a #3800 Camper FC.  At the
same time, I had a 110 4-speed FC (non camper) and while it was adequate and
did not feel at all underpowered, revving it up and running it through the
gears wasn't very exciting at all when compared to the 140 FC.
Craig Nicol