<VV> rust hole spots

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk
Mon Mar 9 02:59:23 EDT 2009

John is buying a copy of my rust book anyway, but I would like to say here
for the record that this issue is what the book covers! It is especially
about trying to save metal where you don't want to replace it, and deals
with how to remove the rust efficiently.

But only after the rust has been removed can you make the decision as to
whether replacement is needed. And that decision has to be on the basis of a
number of factors, surely (e.g. the value of the car, the condition of the
rest of the car, whether the car will get an inspection (and I know from
personal experience that this isn't an issue in NC!), how much sound metal
is left and how much rust, whether you want to keep the car for a long or a
short time, etc.

Also paramount must surely be the climate - it would be perfectly possible
to treat the floor pan using POR-15 etc. AFTER proper prior treatment. (but
derusting it properly first - that's where you need my book!), and if the
climate in the area is good the car could be used for many years with no
problems. In NC I incline towards the view that the rust would probably not
return indefinitely if the car were stored properly and the affected area
was watched. In Scotland, however, where the climate is foul and the
Inspection tough, this would be a no-brainer and replacement would be vital.

Surely the most important aspect is the one covered by my post the other
day - i.e. the viability of restoring any car versus the cost
considerations. The most important thing to do AT THE START is to decide how
much money each repair is going to cost, how far you want to go with that
particular vehicle - and whether, after a cost-benefit analysis, it is
better to proceed or to sell the vehicle and get one that needs less work.

Cheers

Alan