<VV> Cleaning and Painting Engine Shrouds

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Mon Mar 9 15:48:14 EDT 2009

"...lacquer would not stand up to oil and gas spillage in the engine  bay..."

To the contrary, other than powder coating, lacquer holds up much, much
better (to oil and gasolinre) than any other paint. In fact, if you spray  lacquer
over oil base paints, the lacquer will act as a paint stripper (I  suspect GM
used lacquer on the shrouds; as, after painting, lacquered parts can  be
handled in about 10-minutes). For the past 20 years or so I've been  using, with
great success, a "rattle can" lacquer product produced by  Plastikote:
"Classic Lacquer, Flat Black,  #344." Its title implies a "flat" finish, but, in
reality, it dries with a light  sheen indistinguishable from the original GM
engine shroud finish.
Try it; you'll like it!
Mike Mauro